ARCHiNOS Takes care of Sultan's Charity
27 April 2014
In the scorching heat of Cairo, charities offering free drinking water were much welcome. They numbered in hundreds in the Middle Ages. Less numerous were those offering similar relief to animals. The structure built for this purpose by the great Mamluk sultan al-Ashraf Qaitbey in 1474 is part of his magnificent funerary complex within Cairo’s “City of the Dead”. The severely damaged building is now under conservation by ARCHiNOS Architecture, with funding primarily from the EU Delegation to Egypt, with a contribution from the Netherlands Embassy . The project will preserve and protect the monument, and also make it useful for the many traditional artisans who practice their crafts in the area.