This conservation project was carried out through the American Research Center in Egypt with funding from the USAID. The wooden minbar (pulpit) was donated to the 12th-century mosque in year 1300 and is among the oldest preserved in Egypt. The work comprised structural reinforcement of the pulpit, fine conservation of carved and inlaid wooden pieces, and reinforcement and water-insulation of the floor underneath the minbar, as well as conservation of a carved stucco frame and bronze grille on the wall behind it.
On 21 March 1999 at the ceremony marking the completion of the project, the ribbon was cut and certificates handed out to the members of the conservation team by the head of the Supreme Council of Antiquities Prof. Gaballa ‘Ali Gaballa, and the First Lady of the U.S. Hillary Rodham Clinton.
1998-1999, Darb-al-Ahmar area in Historic Cairo.
Project Director: Agnieszka Dobrowolska.