This architectural conservation project was carried out through the American Research Center in Egypt with funding from USAID. The building, a huge commercial and residential complex, was founded in 1796 by the same remarkable woman as the adjoining sabil-kuttab. The conservation treated these parts of the building that are registered as a historic monument: the street front and the gateway to the courtyard. It comprised structural reinforcements including the re-assembly of the vaulting in the gateway from its original stone blocks, and fine conservation of various fabrics.
2002-2004, Al-Sukarriya area in Historic Cairo.
Project Director: Agnieszka Dobrowolska.